Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My absence explained…

…no real excuse for not posting, but the last two weeks have been extremely busy.  As I was working my way around the house, trying to get the garden beds ready for their annual infusion of flowers, I decided that the front of the house needed a total remake.  The front faces north and gets very little sun, and the gardens are generally sort of anemic; so I proposed that we rip every thing out, put down a patio, and just put plants into pots and planters on the patio.  Carolyn thought it was a great idea, and so it was off to Beehive Brick and Stone where we ordered the pavers.  They came on Friday, May 8th, and for the next 9 days it was 10 to 11 hour days trying to get the patio done.  I even gave up bike rides and running.  That project is now complete…

patio_1_viewing

patio_2_viewing

The border around the existing sidewalk is 2 feet wide.  The patio area in front of the window is 11 ft x 11 ft.  Not sure how it will eventually be decorated, but the paving has been completed.

Next project was to do some work on the “hump”.  The “hump” is the mound of dirt which covers the culvert which runs through the west side of our property.  I wanted to put in a pathway over to Josh and Erika’s house, as well as do some landscaping.  Here is where that project stands after a couple of days…

pathway_1_viewing

Now it is on to the deck.  I have to refinish all of the horizontal surfaces.  I hired some college students to do it last year, and the results of their efforts did not make it though one year.

2 comments:

Karl said...

Looks really great Bill! Make sure you get before and after pictures of the deck. I am anxious to see how it comes out. Actually, once you have the process down, perhaps you can come to New York and show me how it's done on my deck.

Oma/Marion said...

Looks like your absence from the blog was a productive one. I thought you retired, aren't you supposed to be sitting in a rocking chair on your front porch?