Getting Started
Boredom finally overcame me. The books on Geothermal had not yet arrived. So I determined to get going with something I could do, remove the non-bearing wall between the two guest bedrooms that we intend to make into one room as part of the remodel.
I cleaned out the office area on Monday, and put up my office furniture for sale on KSL. On Tuesday I began to tear down the drywall on the office side of the wall. We are having guests on Friday and Saturday night, so thought I would defer tearing down the wall in the guest bedroom until after they leave (we will see if I can resist the temptation.)
Two issues. Although the wall separating the two rooms is non-bearing, it does have a shear strap embedded in it.
Neither Josh nor I can understand why the shear strap is needed, so I am planning on removing it. If the house topples, we will understand the need.
The other issue is that the electricity for the bedroom ran through this wall. I cut the wire prior to understanding that it was the sole source of power to the sockets in the guest bedroom. Today I will alleviate the situation by installing a wire through the attic to re-power the room.
The books arrived yesterday afternoon, and I am trying to see if they contain the information I need to determine if I can go geothermal at a reasonable cost.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Will the en-suite be ready by March!
The en-suite bathroom will not, but the expanded size bedroom will. You will have to endure the indignity of a mismatch in flooring on the two sides. I will not be upgrading the flooring until all of the second floor renovations are complete. We could arrange a screen so you do not have to walk out onto the landing in full public view to get to the bathroom.
Post a Comment