Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting Ready To Go...

Preparations have begun for our trip to Granville for Mother's memorial service. Even though we will be gone for only five days, this is not an insignificant event. Alice Walter and George Porgey (as in Georgy Porgey) have never been left alone before. So we have concerns that our abscence for five days may be traumatic for them. George can probably handle it because he came to us as a stray, but he has become a confirmed housecat and eats up to five cans of cat food a day. Alice Walter came to us as a kitten (the first we have ever had). When we went to England, he was still a small kitten and was boarded at a friends house, so Alice Walter has never known an empty house. Ali and Cami Pagan, who live across the street, are going to be dropping in several times a day to feed and give attention to the cats, and Char will be dropping by each day, so they ought to be okay.

I spent the weekend putting additional shelves in the garage so that I can move my tools and other stuff from the basement into the garage. Then I intend to build more shelves and closets in the basement to store our other stuff. Incredibly your stuff expands to fill the space available to store it (I think George Carlin did a bit on this.) So I must be preparing us for a rush of stuff.

It is also incredible that almost every week we fill our big blue trash container and the green recycling container. I never see that much stuff coming into the house, so we must have a trash manufacturing facility within the house that can concoct trash out of thin air ( and stuff as well ).

The monsoonal moisture has finally arrived (the remnants of Hurricane Dolly) and brought us a little humidity and the first rain that we have had in a couple of months (not much here.) I took these pictures on Saturday of the storm clouds building over the Wasatch Front, and of a rainbow.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leaving your furry friends is not easy. I had to leave Jak at my dad's once and arrived with toys, food, treats, a gate and a list complete with diagrams of what treats went with what toys. I'm sure with all the planned visitors your cats will be fine.

Five days will go by quick.

Anonymous said...

I think your real worry is...

What if the squirrels come when you're not there?

Anonymous said...

pity the squirrels... I have buried one this year already

Anonymous said...

GREAT picture of the rainbow!
I'm so sad I won't be able to go to Granville, would really liked to have seen you guys.