Thursday, April 02, 2009

Pratt’s Greenhouse (continued)

Marion questioned in a comment why I am not growing more vegetables… I will repeat my response (edited) here…

The reason I am not planting more vegetables is one of real estate, preference, economics and climate.

We would have to dig up serious parts of the lawn to grow more vegetables.  Large parts of the lawn are unusable because of tree roots. The Cottonwood tree has taken over the whole lawn to the west of the house.  Its roots lay just under the grass as it likes to suck up the water we put on the lawn.  Any where you dig to the west of the house you will find roots varying from finger size, to arm size, and even to leg size.

We also devote serious garden bed space to flowers because we like the color.

For space reasons it seems more productive to grow things which go vertical  or are bushy (tomatoes and peppers). I am planning to plant pole beans this year.

Then there are economics. It just doesn't seem to pay to grow carrots or other root vegetables, while tomatoes and peppers and herbs seem more worthwhile.

And finally this is not generally a cool weather climate.  Once winter breaks we have a very short spring (winter has not really broken yet.) Cool weather plants like spinach and lettuce and peas do not do well. Also plants which do best in humid conditions (like sweet corn) are challenged since our climate is technically a desert… Sage brush and tumbleweed inhabited our yard when we moved in. 

4 comments:

Sibling #4 said...

I am S. I got so excited that I typed in S and then forgot to select Sibling 4.
Bill when you start working at Home Depot you could by lumber and make raised beds. That would take care of the root problem. How much shade does the Cottonwood create?
See how pathetic our lives are we are consumed by your garden. I need to get out and plant 50 daffodil bulbs that I didn't get in the ground last fall. It actually isn't a bad thing because in the fall,I can no longer see where the daffodils are and now I can. They won't bloom until next year but it's better than rotting in my basement.

CAPII said...

I gave up gardening in 2001 after a knee operation. My 3 railroad by 2 railroad tie garden sat empty for two years, and dee said that's enough, and we had the gardener bring St Augustine!

The ties were used to elevate the garden above the 'black gumbo' of North Texas!

I am so happy to not have to watch everything die from the Texas heat in July-August.

Now I can just go to the American Legion for a cold one and not worry about it!!!!

Oma/Marion said...

When I first read the title: "Pratt's Greenhouse", my mind played tricks on me and I read "Pat's Greenhouse". However, I did not think that Edward had taken up blogging. Kay, sure wish I could plant some daffodil bulbs. It's too hot here, just like in Texas, Cap.

CAPII said...

I had lots of spring bulbs in the front yard planters around the trees 15 years ago. Now the grass has filled in (boxes gone). One or two daffodils will still pop up through the grass! Now most of our 'stuff' goes into large flower pots! Easy to plant, after the first freeze throw the leftovers in the trash.

Lazy