Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Project One – Bill Pratt’s Greenhouse (corrected)

With time on my hands and motivated to live a little more frugally, I decided to start some seedlings.  I was also motivated by Josh, my neighbor, building a greenhouse, and offering me some space in it for my plants.  At the present time I have planted 7, 72 ‘pot’ trays.  They aren’t really pots, but little bags of peat.  The come looking sort of like buttons, but when you add water to them they grow to be about two inches high.  The first three trays are shown here…

project_1_2

This was the original planting.  The tray to the left contains (from the bottom up) – 1 row: Sweet Basil; 1 row: Cinnamon Basil; 2 rows: Jalapeno Peppers; 2 rows: Sweet Peppers; 2 rows: Cherry Tomatoes; 2 rows: Beefsteak Tomatoes; 2 rows: Roma Tomatoes.  The other two trays contain Marigolds… all sizes and colors.

I have since planted four more trays.  One of them is starting to sprout, and contains a variety of Herbs and African Daisies.  You can see the four trays under daylight lamps in this picture.

project_1_3  The greenhouse is not done yet, and there is no sunshine, so I have had to convert the guest (Nick and Alina’s) bathroom into a greenhouse.  I have the two sun lamps, and a space heater.  I am trying to keep the heat in the ‘greenhouse’ at about 75 degrees, as I have a whole tray of Impatiens planted, and they germinate best at that temperature.  I also planted a whole tray of Poppies Petunias.  Poppy Petunia seeds are just about the smallest seeds I have ever seen.  It took me quite a while to place 3 seeds, one at a time, into the little ‘pots.’

I will keep you posted on the progress of my plants.

6 comments:

S said...

That's good. You're getting back to your roots. Maybe you should apply for a job at Home Depot. How many people can walk to work? Did I miss the whole story of your furlough? I think I heard it from Patty who had heard it from Bea because you were communicating on Face Book. If you told Ed, he didn't remember.

Nacs said...

You growing herbs and poppies ?????

Bill said...

See correction - We are growing Petunias. But all sorts of herbs... none of them proscribed.

Oma/Marion said...

Not sure who S is but Ed has been calling me a lot lately and I did tell him about the "furlough". Bill, I'm impressed with your gardening efforts. Why aren't you planting more vegetables? You could eat those. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, fresh vegetables.

Bill said...

The reason I am not planting more vegetables is one of real estate. We would have to dig up serious parts of the lawn to grow more. Large parts of the lawn are unusable because of tree roots. For space reasons it seems more productive to grow things which go vertical (tomatoes and peppers). I am planning to plant pole beans this year. And then there are economics. It just doesn't seem to pay to grow carrots or other root vegetables, while tomatoes and peppers and herbs seem more worthwhile. And finally this is not generally a cool weather climate, and once winter breaks we have a very short spring (winter has not really broken yet) so cool weather plants like spinach and lettuce and peas do not do well. Also plants which do best in humid conditions (like sweet corn) are also challenged.

Tamara said...

The picture looks more like you are growing sushi!!