Sunday Morning... Crossword is done!
Found out yesterday that the Truman Gillet Bed and Breakfast in North Granby, Connecticut has been 100% booked up by Margaret Pratt Memorial attendees.... both rooms.
Soon folks from all over the world will begin to arise from their comfortable situations and begin the long journey back to The Old Lilacs... the ancestral home. Like salmon returning to spawn, they are returning to the headwaters of the clan to mourn. They will endure the trials of the TSA inspectors, callous flight attendants, and cramped seating, and pass through major transportation centers on their way to Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. Upon arrival at Bradley, will rent cars for the final leg of their journey to the sleepy town of Granville in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the mecca at the corner of South Lane and Water Street. At The Old Lilacs they will begin the rites of celebration and mourning by eating copious amounts of sweet corn and cultivated blueberries. They will oil their bodies with insect repellant and consume a beverage called "beer".
Ritual activities will begin on Saturday morning with a meeting of the siblings. Following the meeting of the siblings there will be a solemn procession to the Granville cemetery. There the ashes of Margaret Schlosser Pratt will be interred in the plot of the Pratt clan next to the ashes of William Stanley Pratt.
The clan will then return to The Old Lilacs to prepare for a traditional feast, called The Corn Roast. As evening approaches, more beer is consumed, and the corn is thrown, still alive, into pots of boiling water. The clan then begins the traditional rite of gluttony. More beer will be consumed and celebration will continue well into the evening.
Sobriety returns to the clan for the Sunday Mourning (held on Sunday Morning, of course). A mini-shrine celebrating the life Margaret Tripp Schlosser Pratt will be constucted on the back lawn of the Old Lilacs. The clan will then gather around for poetry reading and remembrances.
Following the rites of mourning some of the clan will proceed to a gathering of another clan called "The Roberts Reunion". At this gathering, a tribute to Margaret Roberts Tripp Schlosser Pratt will be read.
Then the clan will begin its weary dispersal, back into the clutches of the car rental agencies, rude TSA workers, disgruntled flight attendants, cramped seating, and crowded transportation hubs, to return to their comfortable situations hoping all the while that their pets are still alive and around, their gardens are not desiccated, and the tomato crop has not been harvested by pests and neighbors.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Sunday, August 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Callous and disgruntled flight attendants... I think I'm offended!!!
Flying Delta
Cap said...Enjoyed reading through the various blogs.
I can't wait to join all the Cousins for the the Memorial to Aunt Margaret. I have a little surprise for you'all; but, you will have to wait.
The beer and wine will help bring back memories, and it should be a joyous occasion for all.
We have had about 20 some days of temps over 100 degrees. I think it is over 105 today; but, the meteorologist says back to normal 99 on Friday when I fly out.
Love you all,
cap
Cap...
Tell me now! Tell me now!
Cap,
Are you perhaps bringing acorn butter?
My squirrels have a short life! Between our house and the school many souls have left the earth. Keep guessing guys, what I will bring.
I know I'll have to bring my own 'blog'account though!
cap
You did not mention about the post ceremonial Sunday evening meal of dough boys and baked beans...and I'm sure more corn on the cob. I had corn on Saturday that I was eating within twenty minutes of being picked, that's the best way!
I think Alina and Southwest flight attendants are the exception to the callous flight attendant rule.
We'll see you all soon. Safe trips!
Thanks offspring #2 of sibling #1 for mentioning the Sunday evening gathering in the kitchen of The Old Lilacs for doughboys and baked beans. Actually I think that is a Pratt tradition and not a Schlosser one. Cap, did your father ever make doughboys? I don't think they are usually served with acorn butter but we have enough squirrels around here so perhaps we could find some for those of you who wish to partake. Looking forward to seeing you all.
There aren't enough squirrels because they are being massacred on South Lane. You don't make acorn butter from dead squirrels.
Offspring #2 of Sibling #4 forgot to mention squirrel stew made from road-kill on South Lane. Reminds me of the time we all ate bare (oops - bear) in the kitchen.
Squirrels eat bare. Bears eat squirrels.
But do bears eat acorn butter???
You're right, you don't make acorn butter from dead squirrels. You make it from ACORNS! Twice I have had an acorn fall right in front of me as I was leaving Edwards driveway. The fewer the squirrels the more acorns. What's the problem? Besides it is only red squirrels that have turned into road kill. I believe the bigger gray squirrels are the master acorn butter makers.
Post a Comment